19 desember 2007

Goodbye Namibia!

It is with a heavy heart I’m writing my final BlogSpot from the red earth of Namibia and the warm heat of Windhoek – my home in Africa. I’ve been working on this blog piece for quite a while to make it good, understandable and to get the right words. I want to write it in English so all the friends I have in Namibia can read it as well. The only problem is that words can’t express the way I’m feeling right now. But shit - this hurts more than I can take.

When I felt the airplane leave the soil of Namibia I shed a tear.

These 3 months has been the best time of my life. Not just because of the clinical at the hospital but also because I’m gotten a little “Namibian” as well. I left a piece of my heart here – a big one! The clinical I had these weeks has given me the greatest joy, more frustration than any other, a new look upon my own ways of working, the nursing in Norway and the way Norwegian students are – we are afraid. We are afraid to try, to fail and succeed. I learned to get those ridiculous thoughts out of my already overfull head and just go for it. It was a smart thing to do because now I feel ready to go back and start working on my own. I didn’t have that personal security and faith in my own actions before I came here. Thank you for giving me that!

Windhoek became a home to me. For me home is a place where there are friends, people that are sad to see you go and a place where you leave a piece of your heart. I do have friends in Windhoek, some really good friends. I will miss everything about this city, it’s noise, smells, the honking taxies, my favorite Savannah, ReMix, Heaven, Katutura, Khomansdal, the firebrigade, no.11 Pasteur str, Independence avenue, the sun, the heat, the surroundings, all the children at Mount Sinai….I could keep this going for ages.

I can’t wait to get back home. See my mom and dad whom I have missed badly. To see the guy who patiently have waited for me. I long to see my sweet little princess that always make her aunt smile and my friends back home. The thing that really breaks my heart is the fact that I’m leaving friends behind as well. The friends I have made during these 3 months. Friends that had taken the time to listen when I needed to talk, given me a hug when the day was too hard to live and kept me safe in this strange, but beautiful town. So this is a little tribute to you guys J

I found a good friend in you Dirkie, a really good friend.. You’re at funny guy and you as well gave me a great time and a big thanks to you for keeping me safe and always getting me home when I wanted to go. I’m going to miss our discussions about the strangest things and I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did. I’m always going to remember the “Miss Spontaneous” and “Miss Personality” awards you gave me. I wish you all the best and all the happiness in the world - because you deserve it. Keep your boy safe and give him a good life. Just don’t forget our bet J That is a bet I really want to lose. Thank you for the great week end we had at Daan Viljoen. It was a great Good-bye party and because of that I have even more memories to hold on to. A big thank you as well for the FANTASTIC braai we had on my last night in Windhoek. I hope you are in Windhoek when I come back, that’s a bet I want to win, but if you decide to leave Namibia, make Oslo a stop on your way.

And the last few weeks I also got to know Gino. Thanks soo much for making sure that I was safe at the airport and together with Dirkie giving me the best goodbye-dinner I have ever had. It was the best way for me to say good bye, but I do hope I can come to London in April to see you. Just let me know and I am going to keep my promise to you. I will definitely come back to Windhoek.

A big hug goes to Richard (Abez) for taking so good care of me and for the warm welcome you gave me at the Firebrigade, I’ll never forget. Also a thanks for getting me home safe every night I was at work. You watched over me like I was you baby sister and for a girl who has a big brother who does the same thing, that made my homesickness fade away for a while. You are a great guy J

A big hug goes to my girl Epinge (hope I wrote it right) for being so happy all the time. I met someone who smiles more than me and thank you for making my homesickness go away. You treated me like your sister and your funny way of treating all the guys at the Fire brigade gave us “weegees” something to live up to. It can’t be easy to handle all of those guys, but girl, you are doing a great job. You got my email so please don’t be a stranger. And when you get that new passport you know that my door is waiting to open up for you.

I’m going to miss the Springbooks you made me Otto. You are one funny guy and it’s too bad I didn’t get the chance to get to know you as well as the others. Make sure you send me a picture of your baby girl when she arrives and keep her safe and close to you. You’ll be a great dad J

And Mika…..you still owe me a coffee and I’m going to collect it. Hope to see you in Cape Town.

Last, but not least, my friend Mario. I hope you are good and doing OK. It was sad you couldn’t take me to the airport, but hey…..thats life! I’m going to miss you.

I’m sending a big hug to the rest of the guys and girls at the Fire brigade. I wish I could have gotten to know each and every one of you as good. But thank you for being there, letting us “weegees” taggle along on calls and joking around and last – being our friends! So to Speedy, David, Geno, TB, Franz, Steven and all of the guys I don’t recall the names of THANKS A THOUSAND TIMES!

My email is as follows: ksvendsr@online.no

And the rest of my Namibian friends and the people I got to know

I WILL MISS YOU!

Until we meet again - good bye Windhoek, good bye Namibia.

“Ring ring whos calling – that’s my baby girl on the phone”

Ingen kommentarer: